Top Tips for using flowers to create a memorable event
19 May 2016
40th birthdays, charity dinners, ruby weddings, awards evenings; these can all be transformed into really memorable occasions using flowers in imaginative ways to set the scene. Whether it’s in a conference hall or a family back garden there’s lots of simple tips and tricks that can turn a special event into something extraordinary.
At The Flower Lounge we’ve had the pleasure of working on floral designs for small private parties as well as transforming bland corporate venues into inspiring places for hundreds of guests. So we thought we’d put all that experience to good use and share some of our top tips and a few simple but effective ideas for planning your next event.
- Create a mood board. You may already have a theme such as the 1920s, or want to create a style such as ‘relaxed garden party’ or ‘New York cocktail bar’ but the key is to start collecting some images of the things that inspire you and the colour combinations that work well. This may be cuttings from magazines, images you’ve seen online or today’s modern mood boards made easy with Pinterest. Check out our Pinterest boards for some inspiration!
- Think about Fragrance. When choosing flowers, it’s important to consider scent as well as what they look like. For dining tables, flowers should not be so fragrant that they overpower the food. If your party is alfresco, then it’s lovely to have perfumed flowers such as sweet pea or stocks.
- Large-scale or intimate? Your choice of venue is really important to your design. If it’s a small venue for a close gathering of friends, then this lends itself well to more intricate, delicate flowers that people will see close up. Often single stems of complementary flowers work well. For example, for an afternoon tea, try filling china tea cups, jam jars and vintage jugs with a few blooms such as peony, Juliet rose and hydrangea to help set a quintessentially English scene. If your event is to hosted in a much bigger venue, then you can think on a grander scale. Free standing displays packed full of flowers and foliage can help fill empty spaces or draw people’s eye to a particular area. You can let your imagination run wild and think beyond the tables; using the wall space or even ceiling to create the wow factor. Stair cases, fire surrounds and even light fitments make fantastic props and here you can mix in some artificial flowers to help maximise your budget.
- Time to Eat! Whether formal or informal, breakfast, lunch or dinner, eating plays a big role in most events. When styling a table consider using low garlands, unfussy bud vases, or simple arrangements with fullness instead of anything too large that can get in the way of good conversation. Use greenery such as trailing ivy and eucalyptus to help fill the space between the flowers, ensuring each guest has a fair share of your beautiful table. And don’t forget edible flowers such as pansies and honeysuckle!
- Branding. If it’s a private event, then you’ll want to create something that the host or person celebrating will enjoy – it always helps if they have a favourite colour or flower to base your designs around. For corporate affairs then colour is a large part of business identity. Flowers can be used in many ways to reinforce a brand and make a real statement. Check out our Making Business Bloom blog for some more great tips.
- The finishing touches. Styling is more than just the flowers, it’s the vases and accessories that really make your event pop! We have numerous props available to hire and work with some fantastic event styling companies such as Aureum Events for beautiful vintage finds and The Word is Love for giant light up letters that create a stunning focal point.
Designing flower arrangements is a wonderful opportunity to really get creative. But if you find it all a little overwhelming and need some support, remember to chat to your local florist and see how they can help you. Not only will they have some great ideas but they’ll get much bigger discounts and have great suppliers they can recommend.
Good luck and if you need any help the team here at The Flower Lounge would love to hear from you. Check out our website for more information and take a look at some of the stunning photos below.