Spring Clean with Flowers
After the hectic Valentines and Mother’s Day season, we're well and truly in the throes of spring cleaning here at The Flower Lounge; scrubbing down surfaces, sterilising buckets, re-organising props and replenishing depleted supplies of teabags!
Have you caught the spring-cleaning bug yet? It can be so therapeutic bringing the home out of hibernation; flinging open the windows and wafting out months of stagnant air! Once your rooms are refreshed, flowers and plants are the perfect finishing touch.
They not only inject wonderful life-enhancing colour, they are natural air fresheners and some can even act as filters to pollutants! A NASA study found that many plants are able to neutralise the chemicals found in furniture, household products, and decorating materials.
So here’s our top 5 recommended additions to your clean, Spring home.
- Orchids – These elegant stems give off oxygen at night so aiding a better night’s sleep. A natural addition for bedrooms.
- Jasmine – The exquisitely fragrant white flowers will fill your home with a rich, sweet scent that will beat any artificial air freshener.
- Peace lilies – These plants have major air cleaning abilities and are so easy to care for. The moisture given off by these striking flowers can boost a room’s humidity by up to 5%.
- Boston Ferns - Loved for their soft, feathery leaves, these plants scrub the air of toxins and improve humidity.
- Anthuriums - Their large, distinctive leaves suck up pollutants such as ammonia, formaldehyde, toluene and xylene, so they’re a perfect for a home office or workplace, especially around copiers, printers, or adhesives.
All of these plants also have the added bonus of health benefits too. The extra oxygen, humidity and reduction of toxins can mean fewer headaches, reduced allergies and less irritations, while their colour and cheer and reduce stress and help you be more productive and creative at home! Win win!
There’s plenty to choose from in store and although we might be biased, we think after all that hoovering and dusting, you deserve a little trip to the flower shop!