Flowers for Fathers Day
Flowers are synonymous with Mother’s Day but our poor dads often don’t get a look in! I think it’s a common misconception that men don’t like to receive flowers. We find that men are often the most bowled over when greeted with a fantastic display of flowers. It is the 21st century after all…and it’s more than acceptable to show your love and appreciation with an arrangement that’s just right for the first-ever man in your life!
For every dad, there is a flower (ok we admit for some men, it may still have to be a plant) but, as creative florists we know what appeals to the male psyche. And whether they admit it or not, a truly surprising gift (of not more socks!) gives you the opportunity to remind your dad how special he is.
When deciding on the type and style of flowers, then you know your dad best. Ask yourself what colours he likes, what does he grow (or wish to grow) in his own garden, does he like bold, distinctive characteristics or is he more wild and free? If you’re unsure, then here’s my quick guide to buying flowers for men:
1. Hobbies are a great place to start…we’re not saying all men like sport but there are team colours to consider! Talk to your florist who can create something bespoke for you and you could try incorporating tickets to the next football game, or subscription to his favourite magazine.
2. If this is his first foray into flowers, keep it simple. It’s probably best to avoid pastel colours and whimsical touches and choose a more basic palette, whether that’s white roses or orchids, or something bright but singular such as sunflowers or heliconia.
3. June is the month of the Rose. It’s the flower that communicates Love and Appreciation so it’s a classic choice for a dad who isn’t afraid of a bold gesture. A simple collection of a dozen red roses is timeless.
4. Our experience tells us that men are more visually orientated and are drawn to structured designs, often with vivid, crisp colours. So, consider arrangements that contain tropical, exotic flowers such as Anthuriums and birds of paradise. The contemporary look, with strong clean lines appeals to men’s sense of linear style. You’ll find these displays in the coolest of hotels, bars and restaurants so there’s no shame in having one of these arrangements take pride of place in the home.
5. If you think the mere sight of a flower would threaten his manhood, then you can always introduce some botany into their lives with bamboo, succulent or cactus…prickly yes, but strong and masculine! Capturing a little essence of the great outdoors can add a sense of tranquillity and a touch of nature that they’ll enjoy at home or in the office.
So, if you’re searching for something ‘different’ for your dad this Father’s Day, then flowers could be just what you’re looking for. They may be expected by women, but we can almost guarantee they’d be a surprise for your dad…and in our experience, a very welcome surprise too!
Check out what we have available online and in store. But remember we’re just on the end of the phone if you want to create something unique, that shows your dad just how much he means to you.