Trend alert: Eucalyptus
Commonly used for medicinal purposes and as a snack for peckish Koala’s, Eucalyptus has often been overlooked as a decorative plant. But not anymore! Fashionable brides and creative interior stylists are flocking towards this versatile foliage and with good reason.
Affordable, beautiful, long-lasting and with an incredible smell, Eucalyptus is perfect to use indoors.
This incredibly versatile plant has lots of varieties including:
- Seeded Eucalyptus - it’s pale green leaves match its textured, seeded pods, also called eucalyptus populous
- Silver Dollar Eucalyptus - with broad and round pale green leaves and flexible stems this is the most popular variety of Eucalyptus and is also known as eucalyptus cinerea
- Baby blue – another favourite for it’s iconic shape and blueish colour
- Bonsai Eucalyptus - commonly known as gunnii or cider gum eucalyptus, it has small leaves and vertical structure perfect for adding height and dimension
- Eucalyptus Glaucesens – with the strongest scent of all Eucalyptus, this stunning variety has light blue foliage and is one of the main varieties grown by our supplier Irish Green Guys
- Eucalyptus Moorei - a new variety of green Eucalyptus which is a lovely thin shape and perfect as a bouquet filler
- Eucalyptus Parvifolia – a very full, small leafed Eucalyptus creating a delicate, pretty finish
Taking the wedding world by storm, Eucalyptus’ muted colour and interesting shapes add texture and tie together any floral concept. It’s plentiful green leaves add volume to the loose and wild bouquets that are currently bang on trend. And it’s perfect for a groom who would prefer a simple, stylish and more masculine button hole. As there is so much bulk and volume to Eucalyptus, it allows us to create very dramatic features including arches, chandeliers and wall hangings. Plus, their understated beauty is perfect for more industrial venues that may not suit traditional blooms.
We’ve also seen a huge increase in customers looking for Eucalyptus for their homes, not only because they look beautiful but because their distinctive aroma makes any home smell gorgeous. There are plenty of ways you can re-create the stylish greenery looks currently filling interior design magazines, Instagram and décor blogs. Simply attaching Eucalyptus to a wooden rod makes a beautiful wall hanging and can look very striking against a stark, white wall. Or how about fashioning a garland of Eucalyptus around a fireplace? Not only does this look impressive but the heat brings out that beautiful aroma. Even a single stem in a dramatic vase can look incredible, and, as Eucalyptus has a flexible stem and is available all year round, it’s perfect for a cool and stylish wreath – indoors or outdoors!
At the Flower Lounge we get our stunning Eucalyptus from our friends at Irish Green Guys, based in beautiful Southern Ireland. They grow over 350 acres of lush foliage and produce unique varieties available to our customers. Operating to the highest environmental standards, the Eucalyptus they produce is sweetest smelling we’ve ever come across.
James from Irish Green Guys says, "There are close to 800 species of Eucalyptus all of which are believed to be in Australia but many have now spread all over the world. We have grown over 50 species in Ireland and are only scratching the surface of its potential for use in flower design. The last 5 years have seen a huge surge in its use as greenery in arrangements, but also as a bunch in its own right. It adds a real architectural elegance in any room and the grey colour works really well with the natural and stone colours that are so on trend at the moment. And of course who doesn’t love the gorgeous scent of Eucalyptus wafting across your room?"
If we’ve inspired you to get creative with Eucalyptus, visit us in store to see (and smell!) the full range. We’d love to see your creations – tag us on social media and use the hashtag #flowerlounge